All health providers have to collect personal information about you – it’s in the nature of our job.
Your personal information is very tightly protected. With your permission there are certain things that we do and don’t do with that information.
There are certain people that we DO share your information with, unless you specifically tell us not to:
- We sometimes write reports and referrals to your family doctor.
- We sometimes write reports and referrals to eye surgeons or other medical practitioners.
- We sometimes write reports and referrals to other optometrists.
- In the case of a child under 16, we will communicate with parents or guardians.
There are certain people that we DO NOT share your information with, unless you specifically tell us to do so:
- We will not communicate with your employer.
- We will not communicate with your family members.
There are one or two situations when we are LEGALLY REQUIRED to pass on information, for example
- If your vision is not good enough to drive but you carry on driving
- If we have evidence of a crime being committed.
If your account with us is overdue we will pass the details of your debt to a debt collection agency – that means your name, address, phone number, and date of birth, but not your confidential medical details.
You have the right to see any information we hold about you, and you can ask for it to be corrected if it’s wrong.
If you are concerned about any aspect of your personal information, please just let us know – we really take this seriously.